Cardiac Surgery Center
Cardiac Surgery Center was established in 2012, formerly known as Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital Cardiothoracic Surgery founded in 1954 which was one of the earliest cardiothoracic surgeries. Since 1960s, valve replacement surgeries and aortic surgeries have been carried out. Since 1980s, coronary bypass surgeries have been performed earliest in Sichuan province. Through 50 years development, various open-heart surgeries have been carried out conventionally from the beginning of the 21st century, and the surgical volume ranks in the forefront of the province. To strengthen the Cardiac Surgery Center, the hospital recruited well-known cardiac surgeon Huang Keli to serve as academic leader, meanwhile seperated the cardiac surgery from the original cardiothoracic surgery independently to establish the Cardiac Surgery Center in April 2012. Then the Center hires several middle-aged and young physicians with abundant clinical experience and advanced medical concepts, and constitutes a vibrant and dynamic team, forming a modern medical center integrating clinical, teaching and research.
The center is equipped with strong technical force and advanced equipment and the backbones are all engaged in advanced studies in the Europe and America. The center maintains a long-term business relationship with the United States, Germany and other countries and has sent physicians for further education every year. The Center has 8 physicians who have master's degree or above, including 2 doctors, 6 masters; 2 senior professional title, 4 intermediate professional title, 2 junior professional title; 5 full-time cardiac surgery anesthetists, 2 extracorporeal circulation perfusionists. The center has separate cardiac surgery operating rooms, which are equipped with the most advanced anesthesia machines, Stockert cardiopulmonary bypass machines, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machines, echocardiography machines, coronary flow meters, Medtronic radiofrequency ablation machines and other instruments and equipments, and is about to purchase Da Vinci surgical robot to carry out robot-assisted heart surgeries. The center has an independent cardiac surgical intensive care unit (20 beds) equipped with breathing machines, monitors, continuous cardiac output devices, intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation machines, hemodialysis machines, bronchoscopies and other intensive care and therapy equipments for heart disease patients with safe postoperative recovery. Wards are divided into two general wards and one second-level care unit, a total of 75 beds with comfortable and beautiful environment.
The center carries out routine surgeries of valvular heart disease, coronary heart disease, major vascular disease, congenital heart disease, cardiac arrhythmia, cardiac tumors and other diseases. At present, the number of cardiac surgeries is among the largest in the province, and is increasing by 20%-30% annually. Surgical quality and efficacy reach advanced level in China, and the Center has an significant influence in the province even in the country.
The diagnosis and treatment range and features of the Cardiac Surgery Center:
1. Surgical treatment of valvular heart disease: In the 1960s, the Cardiac Surgery Center was the first to carry out artificial valve replacement surgery (mechanical valve or biological valve) to treat valvular heart disease in the province, such as rheumatic heart disease, valvular degeneration disease, infective endocarditis, etc. These surgeries have become routine in the center, and the number reached 2000 cases of valve replacement surgeries, effective rate over 99%. In particular, the Center has a wealth of experience and technology in the surgical treatment for severe valvular heart disease (heart function Ⅳ, multi valve disease, left ventricular end-diastolic diameter ≥70mm, left ventricular end-diastolic diameter ≤40mm, age ≥70 years old), which ranks the leading position in the province. The oldest patient accepting double valve replacement surgery is 75 years old. Heart valve repair surgery is a difficult surgery for treatment of valvular heart disease, which is another technical advantage and feature of the Center that applies a variety of techniques to repair the complex multi-segmental complex prolapse of mitral regurgitation and tricuspid regurgitation, the repair success rate reaches 98%, allowing a number of patients getting rid of the trouble of lifelong oral anticoagulation.
2. Surgical treatment of coronary heart disease: In recent years coronary artery bypass surgery shows a rising trend, which becomes another feature of Cardiac Surgery Center, the annual number of bypass ranks among the best in the province. The oldest patient accepting coronary artery bypass is 79 years old. The technologies of surgeries include cardiopulmonary bypass coronary artery bypass grafting(CABG), off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCABG), minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting(MIDCAB), hybrid coronary revascularization(Hybrid), heart valve replacement meanwhile coronary artery bypass surgery and so on, as well as intermittent incision of great saphenous vein harvesting surgery and endoscopic saphenous vein harvesting surgery(EVH) and other minimally invasive surgeries, which reduces the patient's lower extremities complication of coronary artery bypass grafting disease. The center also launches ventricular aneurysm resection surgery, left ventricle reconstruction surgery, ischemic mitral valvuloplasty, ventricular septum perforation repair surgery, which rescues and cures a number of critical patients of myocardial infarction complication.
3. Surgical treatment of major vascular disease: In the 1960s the Cardiac Surgery Center took the lead in the surgical treatment of aortic disease in the province. Through the efforts of several generations, it has been able to maturely carry out aortic aneurysm surgery, acute or chronic aortic dissection surgery, coarctation of the aorta surgery and other large blood vessel diseases, including replacement of the ascending aorta surgery, replacement of aortic arch replacement surgery, replacement of thoracic aortic surgery, the aortic root with disc pipeline transplantation surgery(Bentall operation), valve-sparing aortic root replacement surgery(David surgery), aortic valve replacement plus ascending aorta replacement surgery(Wheat surgery), aortic valve replacement plus ascending aorta replacement plus coronary artery graft surgery (Carbrol surgery), modified Carbrol surgery, Sun's surgery, aortic root forming plus aortic arch replacement plus the vascular stent implantation in arch three branches, etc. The Center applies advanced surgical techniques, cerebral protection technology, brain oxygen monitoring, aortic stenting and hybrid technology, which greatly improves the success rate of surgery.
4. Surgical treatment of congenital heart disease: Common congenital heart diseases such as atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect, patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonary stenosis, patial type or complete type endocardial cushion defect, tetralogy of Fallot, trilogy of Fallot, double outlet right ventricle, dual-chamber right ventricle, triple atriums, single atrium, Ebstein malformation and other diseases have been carried out maturely. A small incision through the right chest closure of atrial septal defect, a small incision through the lower sternum closure of ventricular septal defect and other technologies have been advanced, the number of surgery cases among the province is at the front rank, smaller surgical trauma, quicker recovery and effective.
5. Surgical treatment of cardiac arrhythmias: For secondary atrial flutter or atrial fibrillation patients, during open heart surgery using Medtronic or Atricure bipolar radiofrequency ablation system conducts ablation surgeries; for patients with simple atrial fibrillation, the Center also carries out minimally invasive radiofrequency ablation surgeries with over 80% effective rate.
Cardiac Surgery Center advocates "surgery + service" concept to provide safe, effective, high-quality surgery for patients and provide thoughtful, attentive, personalized service. Nowadays, the centre has a wide range of social influence that many patients from other places come here for treatment, and has become a larger cardiac surgery center in the province.
Cardiac Surgery Center focused on the combination of clinical and scientific research. In recent years, it has undertaken 3 research projects of Health and Family Planning Commission of Sichuan Provincial, 1 hospital-level research project, published more than 50 papers, 5 SCI papers. The Center has also taken charge of undergraduate clinical teaching jobs of Luzhou Medical College, North Sichuan Medical College, Zunyi Medical College, as well as the standard doctor training program, it has become an important base to train medical staff.
Address: No. 32, Second Section of West First Loop, Chengdu, Cardiac Surgery Center (Zip code: 610072)
The main technical backbones of the department:
Huang Keli, academic leader, Sichuan outstanding introduction talent, director of the Cardiac Surgery Center, chief physician, Master Instructor. He graduated from West China Hospital Sichuan University in clinical medicine in 1992, engaged in clinical and research work at the Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery of Guangdong Provincial People's Hospital of Cardiovascular Disease for nearly 20 years, achieved a master's degree in 2003, further studied in the German Berlin Heart Institute for 6 months. February 2012 introduced from the Cardiovascular Institute of Guangdong Provincial People's Hospital to the Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital Cardiac Surgery Center. He has completed more than 3000 heart surgery cases. As the key personnel, he was involved in surgery and perioperative treatment of 18 heart transplantation cases, 1 heart and lung transplant case. He has published over 30 papers, participated in and completed more than 10 national, ministerial, provincial research projects, and achieved 2nd prize of the Guangdong Provincial Science and Technology Award in 2005.
Yu Tao, deputy chief physician, MD, deputy director of the Cardiac Surgery Center. He graduated from the China Medical University in clinical medicine in 1998, achieved a master's degree specializing in cardiothoracic surgery of China Medical University in 2001, engaged in cardiovascular surgery after graduation at the Second Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical University(Guangzhou Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases), achieved PhD in Institute of Cardiovascular Disease cardiovascular Surgery of Guangdong provincial People's Hospital in 2011, was introduced as talent to the Sichuan Provincial People's hospital in April 2013. He engaged in advanced studies in the U.S. UTAH University School of Medicine and Heart Center of University of Western Ontario in Canada. He has completed heart surgeries more than 1000 cases. Research Interests: surgical treatment of end-stage heart failure. He has extensive experience in valvular disease, coronary heart disease, macrovascular disease, congenital heart disease, arrhythmias and so on. He has published more than 20 papers, including 3 SCI papers, participated in and completed 3 national, provincial and departmental research projects.
Liu Shengzhong, attending doctor, Master of Medicine, Communist, member of Sichuan Provincial Physician Association. He graduated from Chongqing Medical University in 2007, obtained a master's degree of Surgery (Cardiothoracic Surgery). After graduation, he worked in the Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital Cardiothoracic Surgery until 2012 when switched to the Cardiac Surgery Center, has been engaged in medical treatment, teaching, scientific research, involved nearly 1,000 cases of cardiac surgeries, has a wealth of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac surgical diseases, especially specialized in valvular heart disease, congenital heart disease, macrovascular disease(aortic aneurysm, aortic dissection), coronary heart disease, atrial fibrillation surgery treatments. He has published more than 50 papers in domestic and foreign medical journals, and has participated in many international academic conferences. He has undertaken or participated in 7 hospital-level research projects, 2 research projects of Chengdu Science and Technology Bureau, 4 research projects of Sichuan Provincial Health Department, 1 research project of the State Ministry of Science and scientific.
Tan Jin, attending doctor, Master of cardiac surgery. He graduated from West China Hospital Sichuan University in 2004, has completed five years of standardized physician training and has been engaged in cardiac vascular surgery and postoperative intensive care with clinical, teaching and research work in West China Hospital. He is able to skillfully treat all kinds of diseases in this professional, including valvular disease, congenital heart disease, coronary heart disease, macrovascular disease and so on; also has in-depth study and application in new techniques like minimally invasive and interventional. He completed 1 project independently, participated in a number of research projects, published more than 10 papers, with 1 SCI paper and 1 US Chemical Abstracts CA paper, has participated in many international academic conferences with speaking exchanges.
Xiang Bo, attending doctor, Master of Medicine. He graduated from West China Hospital Sichuan University in 2009, obtained a master's degree of Surgery(Cardiothoracic Surgery). After graduation he worked in Changhai Hospital of Second Military Medical University in cardiothoracic surgery, returned to the Sichuan Provincial People's Hospital Cardiac Surgery Center in 2012. Has been engaged in medical treatment, teaching, scientific research, involved more than 1,500 patients with various types of heart surgery (conventional incision valve replacement, via the right axillary incision atrioventricular septal defect repair and mitral valve replacement, the lower sternum small incision valve replacement, III aortic dissection isolated stent surgery with DSA, A type aortic dissection surgery, CABG or OPCABG, etc.), with a wealth of experience in the diagnosis and treatment of cardiac surgical diseases. And he specializes in surgical treatment and postoperative care of valvular heart disease, congenital heart disease, macrovascular disease(aortic aneurysm, aortic dissection), coronary heart disease, atrial fibrillation. He has published more than 10 papers in domestic and foreign medical journals, and has participated in many international academic conferences. He has undertaken or participated in 1 research project of Chengdu Science and Technology Bureau, 1 project of the National Natural Science Fund.
Jiang Lu, attending doctor, Master of cardiac surgery. He graduated from West China Hospital Sichuan University in 2012, Master of Medicine, mainly engaged in the surgical treatment of cardiovascular disease and participated in cardiovascular disease-related basic research work, participated in one Sichuan Province Science and Technology Progress Award, has published 3 articles in domestic core journals.
Jiang Qin, MD, physician, Cardiovascular Surgery Dr. of Fuwai Hospital CAMS&PUMC, Beijing Union Medical College. He has been engaged in cardiovascular surgery study, research and work for 7 years. He has participated in the research project of aortic dissection, myocardial regeneration, ischemic treatment, cell transplantation and other aspects. He has published 2 research papers in international medical journal, was invited to give speech twice in the international heart conference, and has obtained the Youth Physician Outstanding Paper Award of China Heart Assembly.